- Free Articles
- Ethnomathematics of the Inkas Encyclopaedia of the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine in Non-Western Cultures
- Birth Encyclopedia of Medical Anthropology
- Fatherhood and Motherhood Encyclopedia of Sex and Gender
- Ethnobotany of the Incas Encyclopaedia of the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine in Non-Western Cultures
- Water Encyclopedia of Global Justice
- More Free Articles
Address of Organization
6-8 Amwell Street London EC1R 1UQ UK www.article19.org
According to the organization itself, Article 19 is a "global campaign for free expression" that "defends and promotes freedom of expression and freedom of information all over the world." Its name is based on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which states in its 19th Article that "everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression" which includes the rights to "receive and impart information and ideas through any media."
The founding of the organization is based on the idea of the Chicago businessman Roderick MacArthur who worked towards the establishment of an organization focusing solely on the human right to freedom of expression and information on an international scope. After his early death, it was his son Greg who fulfilled his father's vision and founded Article 19 in 1987.
The basic idea of being an organization that supports