- Free Articles
- Astrology of Mandalas Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Anthropomorphism Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Mandalas Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Quantum Chaos Encyclopedia of Complexity and Systems Science
- Carbohydrate-Metal Complexes: Structural Chemistry of Stable Solution Species Glycoscience
- More Free Articles
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
From its initial definition and frequent revisions in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, assessing and treating posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) has presented many challenges to clinicians and researchers alike. However, through advances in cognitive and behavioral theory and practice, a number of evidence-based assessments (EBAs) and evidence-supported treatments (ESTs) have been developed to address this complex disorder. In this chapter, we briefly review the diagnostic features and EBA practices for PTSD. We also detail the mechanisms involved in the maintenance and treatment of PTSD and the EST approaches for the disorder. Finally, we outline the basic and expert clinician competencies involved in the treatment of PTSD from an evidence-based, cognitive-behavioral perspective.
In this chapter, we briefly review the diagnostic features and assessment practices for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).