- Free Articles
- Astrology of Mandalas Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Anthropomorphism Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Mandalas Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Quantum Chaos Encyclopedia of Complexity and Systems Science
- Carbohydrate-Metal Complexes: Structural Chemistry of Stable Solution Species Glycoscience
- More Free Articles
Bipolar Disorder has long been considered to be a condition best managed by pychopharmacologically and psychotherapy specific to bipolar disorder has only recently been a subject of interest.
In our overview in this chapter on bipolar disorder we examine nosology of the DSM-IV bipolar disorders, review diagnostic criteria for manic and hypomanic episodes, discuss epidemiology and psychiatric co-morbidities and describe the clinical course of bipolar disorder.
Prominent agents in the pharmacologic management of bipolar disorder are discussed as the foundational maintenance factors in bipolar disorder with a review of the putative pros and cons of management with lithium, anti-epileptic drugs, atypical antipsychotics, and standard antidepressants.
Three manual based psychotherapies have been studied under controlled conditions in bipolar disorder; family focused therapy, cognitive therapy, and interpersonal social rhythms therapy. We summarize the principles