- Free Articles
- Giant Cell Arteritis Rheumatology and Immunology Therapy
- Disaster Aftermath Encyclopedia of Public Health
- Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome Pediatric Nephrology
- Cellular Electrophysiology Comprehensive Electrocardiology
- Alzheimer's Dementia Encyclopedia of Clinical Neuropsychology
- More Free Articles
Diphosphonates, alendronate, ibandronate, pamidronate, risedronate, tiludronate, zolendronate.
Actonel, Aredia, Bonviva, Fosamax, Skelid, Zometa.
Class and Category
Osteoporosis, calcium metabolism.
Osteoporosis prevention and treatment in men, women, and among glucocorticoid users; Paget's disease; hypercalcemia of malignancy; multiple myeloma and other osteolytic lesion/ bony metastasizes.
Varies by compound, please see entries for selected agents.
As a class, oral agents should be avoided in patients with severe esophageal disease such as achalasia or stricture; hypocalcemia; severe renal dysfunction; or hypersensitivity. Hypovolemia with intravenous agents.
With oral agents-Serious: esophagitis, gastritis; Common: dyspepsia, nausea, chest pain, arthralgias/myalgias.