- Free Articles
- Mars Encyclopedia of Astrobiology
- Quantum Chaos Encyclopedia of Complexity and Systems Science
- Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy Soft Matter Characterization
- Tsunami Forecasting and Warning Encyclopedia of Complexity and Systems Science
- Visualizing Properties of Polymers at Interfaces Soft Matter Characterization
- More Free Articles
Opacity measures the property of a medium to attenuate light. The opacity depends on the composition of the medium, its density, and temperature, but also on the wavelength considered. The absorption coefficient aν (with units [cm−1]) enters into the definition of the optical depth. More often in astronomy, it is the mass absorption coefficient (with units [cm2 g−1]) which is used.