- Free Articles
- Peristaltic Pumps Encyclopedia of Microfluidics and Nanofluidics
- Inspecting Glass Bottles and Jars Machine Vision Handbook
- Human and Animal Vision Machine Vision Handbook
- Evolution of In-Car Navigation Systems Handbook of Intelligent Vehicles
- Displays in the Workplace Handbook of Visual Display Technology
- More Free Articles
A method of protecting microelectromechanical system (MEMS) devices from the environment by means of physical enclosures.
Packaging is a challenging and critical step in the development of MEMS products. MEMS structures are generally very fragile, have moving structures, and must interface with the environment. The requirements for packaging are application specific and differ from each other, thus standard MEMS packaging protocols are difficult to establish, leading to an increase in product cost. For many MEMS products, the cost for packaging often dominates over the device fabrication cost. In this entry, general packaging requirements for typical MEMS devices will be discussed, followed by requirements for specific applications. Then, various state-of-the-art MEMS packaging approaches will be introduced with some examples.
General Requirements for MEMS Packaging
To ensure proper operation in environments