- Free Articles
- Astrology of Mandalas Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Anthropomorphism Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Mandalas Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Quantum Chaos Encyclopedia of Complexity and Systems Science
- Carbohydrate-Metal Complexes: Structural Chemistry of Stable Solution Species Glycoscience
- More Free Articles
Factors that facilitate the attainment of positive outcomes.
In the study of education and psychology researchers have investigated the role of specific factors that lead to either (a) desired outcomes such as strong academic performance and favorable social interactions or (b) undesired outcomes such as school dropout and troubles with the law. Those factors that promote the attainment of desired outcomes are referred to as "protective factors." Those factors that result in less desired outcomes are referred to as "risk factors." Risk and protective factors play a significant role within children's lives and highly influence cognitive, social, and emotional development. These factors are often the focus of prevention and early intervention approaches within child populations.
Protective factors play a critical role in the resilience some children demonstrate. These factors are often thought