- Free Articles
- Astrology of Mandalas Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Anthropomorphism Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Mandalas Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Quantum Chaos Encyclopedia of Complexity and Systems Science
- Carbohydrate-Metal Complexes: Structural Chemistry of Stable Solution Species Glycoscience
- More Free Articles
From the Greek work, gone, meaning seed. It refers to a seed producing gland, such as an ovary or a testis .
Gonads typically refer to the male sex glands. These glands usually occur in pairs. They are located in an external sac of skin in humans called the scrotum behind the penis. The gonads produce and store sperm and are the male's primary source of male hormones, such as testosterone. These hormones control the development of the reproductive organs and other male characteristics, such as body and facial hair, low voice, and wide shoulders .